September 4, 2012

Apsaras of ODISSI - The story


Shifting to Bangalore from Mumbai was a relief which I cannot express through mere words. Alright alright! You can curse me all you want for leaving behind the 'city of dreams' for Bangalore. But I have my own satisfactory reasons for wanting to settle in the 'green city';  

1. To get away from my parents.
2. The active art culture here. 
3. I was not fit for Mumbai. 
4. I like to get to know new places and people.
5. Most of the artistic friends I know via social networking are here!

So here I am finally in Bengaluru, doing what I love, exploring life to its fullest and having a ball with lovely people I have newly made friends with! The 'Apsaras of Odissi' is definitely one of the many means of enjoyment. Ashwini Raghupathy and Kristina Jones are the 2 lovely souls who I met in Nrityagram in the year 2011. Ever since then, I kept in touch with Kristina. From her, I learnt that Ashwini had started ARPAN, an organisation where she devoutly grooms people interested in learning the dance that is "Poetry in motion"- ODISSI. Presently, Arpan consists of 6 dancers and they are ready to expand their horizons and nurture the art they know and love the most. I got in touch with them within a month of moving to Bangalore. To my pleasant surprise, Ashwini came forward asking for a photo-shoot of them all. I agreed immediately and oh boy did we hit it off!

(From left) Devina Wallang, Ashwini Raghupathy, Kristina Jones, Smitha Patil
My next post will consist of the 'Apsaras' pose for me with utmost patience and passion. For now, I leave you all wanting for more with a fun picture I clicked of them on our way to the Cubbon park; the place of photo-shoot.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...